vineri, 15 aprilie 2011

Filenames - The best way to Name Your Files

In a nutshell, identify your files with your most vital keywords.

Now, having said that, it should be related to the page. Be sure that you title the file, or web page as it is, with the key phrase that finest describes that particular page.

After I originally created this web page it was online as an online course. This file was called:

filenames.php

Clearly this is about filenames. I might of named this file, naming-files.php or something like that as well, as this web page is admittedly about naming the file, and never simply filenames.

We wish to title our files to be very descriptive of the page. We wish it to outline the page. Similar to the title tag of a page should describe what the web page is all about, you want the file name itself to do that as well. This not only helps you to instantly see and know what the file is, but in addition helps the search engines to define and index the page. It is another manner to assist the various search engines know what a page is about.

Here is an instance:

sb20.html
or
shelf-bracket-20.html

It must be apparent to you ways the above will work, and as I mentioned, not solely to your ease in figuring out any given file when it comes time to edit the page, but additionally for the engines to have one thing to help outline the web page with.

I don't like to add fluff to those names ... rectangular-blue-widgets.html isn't better than blue-widgets.html ... until in fact rectangular is one thing that is searchable and essential to you. Attempt to preserve filenames quick and sweet, direct and proper to the point.

I do generally use hyphens to separate words, and typically not. Personally, I like to make use of hyphens to separate words. Others will debate me on this saying that it's better not to. Well, in a site title I'll often lean in the direction of not utilizing hyphens as a result of research has shown that to be favorable (no less than at the time of testing). However in filenames, I lean towards their use and I believe they're helpful on this situation. I have never had any conclusive proof to either method being higher than the opposite when it comes to filenames however I believe it better to make use of the hyphen.

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu